Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Post 21: Finally feeling like myself again! (minus an organ) 7 Weeks Post Op.


Diagram B is the current state I am in after my first surgery.
Total colectomy and JPouch procedure complete.
Now I am healing and waiting on my second surgery
(Diagram C)so I will no longer need an Ileostomy.
 Im so happy to say things are looking up this week. Last week I took a turn for the worse and was feeling faint and exhausted mainly due to dehydration. Since I don't have a colon anymore (and the colon's responsibility is to absorb water) I added 3 things to my diet that have helped me tremendously. I feel like a new person this week!
Along with drinking a gallon of water a day I have added:
  • 3 small cups of gatoraide throughout the day (to replenish electrolytes)
  • Salty snacks like pretzels (helps keep my salt levels up so I can retain water)
  • Immodium pills before breakfast, and before bedtime (slows things down so my small intestine can learn how to absorb water & nutrients better)
  • I also STAY AWAY from sugar, fatty foods or anything fried. This can and cause watery stools = dehydration. It's just not worth it. I look at a cookie or something fried, and sure it looks good. But the way I feel after I eat it makes it not worth it to me.It's not good for me anyways.  
Right now I am on a pretty restricted diet. I can't have any raw fruits or vegetables, anything with skin, no nuts or seeds, or whole grain. I pretty much stick with grilled chicken, rice, mashed potatoes, applesauce, banannas....things that are pretty bland. As things improve, I can slowly start to add more foods.
Here is a list of good and bad foods for people with an ostomy.

I have been well enough to go back to work and I've been able to stay the whole day! It's been great to get out of the house and see everyone. I missed my co-workers and students so much. I was also able to go to target with Phillip and Elise last night for a little while. I was pretty beat, but I am just so excited to be able to get back in the swing of things. Phillip grabbed my hand in the car and said he was so happy because he felt like he was finally getting his wife back. He said I had my spark back and this made me so happy. It's been a long road and I wondered when I would ever feel like myself again. So I have to say, 7 weeks out of surgery I am feeling pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment